September 28, 2021

The IRS recently signed contracts with three private-sector collection agencies, taking effect Thursday, Sept. 23, 2021. Taxpayers that are behind on payments toward their debts may be contacted by one of the following agencies:

  • CBE Group, Inc., PO Box 2217, Waterloo, Iowa, 50704; (800) 910-5837
  • Coast Professional, Inc., PO Box 526, Albion, New York, 14411; (888) 928-0510
  • ConServe, PO Box 307, Fairport, New York, 14450; (844) 853-4875

What to expect from a private collection agency

Should you find that you owe back taxes to the IRS, you will receive notice prior to your account being transferred to a collection agency. A letter will arrive by mail and a representative will contact you regarding your account transfer. The rep and letter should state the agency name, contact information, and include a copy of Publication 4518.

The PCA (private collection agency) assigned to your account will also send a letter of its own. This letter will be a confirmation of the account transfer and identify the tax amount owed to assure their legitimacy.

How private collection agencies work

Your assigned PCA should identify themselves as contractors collecting taxes on behalf of the IRS upon contacting you. Collection representatives must adhere to the provisions of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and provide the same respectful service expected of the IRS (see Taxpayer Bill of Rights). Private agencies are not authorized to take enforcement actions against taxpayers.

Discussing payment options

While payments should never be made to an agency other than the IRS, your assigned PCA is authorized to discuss payment options with you, including setting up payment agreements. When making a payment, be sure that checks are only payable to the United States Treasury.

Additional information about private collection agencies

For more information about private debt collection, click here. Ready to speak with a representative about resolving your tax liability? Optima’s team of tax professionals are here to help! Contact us at 800-536-0734 for a no-obligation consultation today. Optima Tax Relief provides assistance to individuals struggling with unmanageable IRS tax burdens. To assess your tax situation and determine if you qualify for tax relief, contact us for a free consultation.